Monday, November 28, 2011

Project 6

Candle Trail
Date Taken: 11/24/2011
Camera: FUJIFILM FinePix S2550HD
Shutter Speed: 1/200 sec.
F-Stop: f/6.4
ISO:6400
Focal Length: 5mm
Tripod: no

Birthday Cake
Date Taken: 11/27/2011
Camera: FUJIFILM FinePix S2550HD
Shutter Speed: 1/1250 sec.
F-Stop: f/8
ISO:6400
Focal Length: 10.4mm
Tripod: no


The first image shown is Candle Trail. With this I was attempting to capture the simple
elegance of candle light. One night, I took a few pictures of a single candle on the
cement, yet found myself dissatisfied with it. I then added many more candles with hopes
of achieving something better, still nothing. It wasn’t until I arranged the candles in a
wavy line that I felt I had something. I took several pictures, experimenting with the
settings on my camera, particularly the ISO. While I was happy with the composition of
my photograph, I was dissatisfied with the “graininess” and noise in the picture. I believe
this was particularly due to my cameras maximum ISO settings that were used. I would
have also like to have more of the cement exposed, to provide a sense of origin.
            The second image is called Birthday Cake. There is nothing about this picture that
was planned, it was purely coincidental. I was at my aunt’s house for her birthday and
was asked to bring my camera to take pictures of the family. A few hours into the visit,
this cake was brought out. What I found most appealing is the arrangement of the
candles. Most people will distribute them throughout the entire cake, however, these candles were placed in a very close proximity to each other, creating an even bigger flame. It was very dark in the house so the candle light seemed to intensify. I got in close and took the picture. It wasn’t until afterwards that I noticed the specks of light in the background from some string lights. I felt this help add to the picture. While I was happy with the moment I had captured, I was disappointed with the graininess of the picture. Yet again, this was due to my cameras maximum ISO settings. All in all, it was a lesson learned with night photography, something I will benefit from in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment