Monday, November 28, 2011

Project 8

Social Commentary: Life on the Reservation
Date Taken: 11/27/2011
Camera: FUJIFILM FinePix S2550HD
Shutter Speed: 1/60 sec.
F-Stop: f/8
ISO: 64
Focal Length: 10.4mm
Tripod: no


I have lived on the Fort Peck Indian reservation for my entire life, excluding my
semesters spent here at Rocky. When I discuss life on a reservation with those whom are
not from one or who haven’t spent time on one, they envision people living in teepees,
dressing traditional, and riding around on horses. While these things do happen, they are
only for special occasions such as powwows or ceremonies. Unfortunately, the realities
of life on the reservation are far different. It is on the reservation where people are faced
with daily life struggles such as poverty, drug and alcohol abuse, along with physical and
sexual abuse. The photograph I submitted for my social commentary project illustrates
these harsh realities. The three people shown are not just those who had a “rough” night,
they instead are having a rough life. All are struggling with poverty and alcohol abuse.
They spend their days roaming around town looking for money. Rather than using this
money for food, they spend it on alcohol, pushing themselves deeper into the hole. The
only thing separating them from using drugs is the simple fact that they can’t afford it.
Being a psychology major, I have learned that 90% of homeless people are mentally ill.
This is largely because they cannot make it in the normal society, so are instead exiled
out of it into the streets. The man standing to the right of the photograph is schizophrenic.
While I do not expect this photograph to change the course of history, I wanted to expose
the harsh realities of life on the Fort Peck Indian reservation. If there is one thing I have
noticed growing up on the reservation, it is that the vast majority of the people living
there expect things to be given to them. As most of us know, things like this rarely
happen. As a result, when they are not handed things, they turn to more destructive paths,
as shown in my photograph.

No comments:

Post a Comment